Buffalo Corn Ears
Lisa Hill, Norwalk, CT
1st Place 2003 Fresh Ways with Supersweet Corn Recipe Contest
- 4 celery ribs, halved and sliced thinly lengthwise
- ½ fennel bulb (stalks and leaves removed), thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup jalapeño hot sauce
- 1-½ tablespoons hot red pepper sauce (e.g., Tabasco)
- 1-½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 ears fresh supersweet corn, husked
- Blue Cheese Slather (recipe follows)
Preheat grill or broiler. Place celery and fennel in a bowl of ice water to crisp. To prepare Buffalo Corn Ears: In a small saucepan, melt butter with hot sauces. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Brush corn with seasoned butter mixture. On a rack, arrange corn; grill or broil until slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes, turning ears and basting with remaining butter mixture. To serve: Drain celery and fennel. On 4 dinner plates place celery, fennel and Buffalo Corn Ears, dividing equally. Top corn with Blue Cheese Slather. Use remaining slather as a dip for the celery and fennel. Serve with grilled or fried chicken or fish, if desired.
YIELD: 4 portions
Blue Cheese Slather: In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces), ¼ cup softened cream cheese, 1 tablespoons half and half and ¼ teaspoon celery salt. Mash with a fork until fairly smooth.
YIELD: about ½ cup